Monday, December 10, 2007

Video Games

While I have never believed that there is a direct correlation between video games and violence, I do think that gender and sexuality in vodeo games is something that needs to be looked at more closely. I know that there are certain games in which you literally can simulate sex. I have never seem any of these games, but I can't imagine there's much use for them. The worst sexual act i've seen in a game is in the Grand Theft Auto series. At night you can drive a car around in a bad part of town and pick up a prostitute. Then if you park in a dimly lit place, you will see the car rocking and hear squeeking sounds, followed by the exchange of money. Not as bad as actually simulating the act but unnecessary nonetheless. I agree with the conclusions of the study performed in the book that stated males were more likely to appear on video game covers than women 13-1. They projected that males were much more likely to buy and play video games than were females so the appearances on the game covers simply reflects marketing. I agree with this.

No comments: